Over the past few decades, online casinos have become one of the fastest-growing industries worldwide. Millions of casino enthusiasts gamble every day on countless platforms. Also, with the US finally permitting its nationals to gamble online legally, the whole industry has taken an enormous leap.
Developers have paid great attention to this trend and now offer more convenient ways for gamblers to play their favorite games while on the go. Currently, the online casino market is worth $61.5 billion worldwide and is expected to go up to $90 billion by 2023.
If you also want to join in on the fun, this guide exists to help you with just that. You will find crucial information you should know before starting, e.g., tips on finding the best casino, signing up with one, and more.
Finding the Best USA Online Casinos
If you are a beginner, you may not know that hundreds, if not thousands, of sites offer real-money online casino games. When a website can check all the boxes, rest assured that your gambling experience will be favorable. Below are the qualities you should look for:
If you ever stepped foot into a land-based casino and saw only a few gaming options, you obviously would not be too happy about it. The same applies to online platforms; some can be stingy with the game variety they offer players. That is why you must be mindful about finding the best gambling sites with the most game variety.
Most online casinos house slots since they are the most prevalent, thanks to their straightforward rules. Some games offered at casinos include but are not limited to the following options:
- Video Poker
- Keno, etc.
You will also find variety within each category of games. For instance, poker is not restricted to Texas Hold’em; you should be able to find a wide variety of Draw Poker and Stud games. Always confirm that an online casino houses all your favorite games before signing up.
When you sign up with a casino, you will be depositing funds into your account and withdrawing from it. Having as many choices as possible will be advantageous for you. A plethora of options lets you choose what you think is the most beneficial banking method for you.
A lot of banking options make perfect sense for online real money gambling. For example, using crypto offers quick processing times and anonymity for gamblers who value privacy. After all, the faster and more secure the payouts are at an online casino, the better.
Customer support is often overlooked by players who get distracted by all the sign-up bonuses, game selection, and whatnot. The same players regret their initial decision whenever they encounter a problem and do not receive help in time.
Issues pop up at any time during the gambling process, so a casino should be able to solve your problems as quickly and as thoroughly as possible. Furthermore, a casino should offer various contact channels, i.e., live chat, email, phone, etc.
Consider casinos with slow customer service (or none at all) red flags. Sometimes casinos are just scams in disguise, and you should be able to identify that.
To gamble at online casinos, you must provide them with your financial information, like credit card numbers. Aside from that, you also have to offer up private information. You may lose money if you provide such information to an unreliable website.
You must ensure that the website you are signing up with guarantees that it will pay off the bets made on its platform. The casino operator should also be able to safeguard your funds so you can park them between your gaming sessions. When registering with a casino website, your primary focus should be winning, not worrying about the legitimacy of the site.
You can gain a lot with gambling sign-up bonuses and other rewards that you can take advantage of even after using a casino website for a while.
The best online casinos are zealous about the rewards they provide their players. Ultimately, they know how crucial it is to make waves in such a saturated market. Bonuses come in many forms at online casino sites:
- Sign-Up Bonuses: Welcome bonuses are the most beneficial offers because they give you a headstart ahead of the game.
- Free Spins or Bonus Games: When you earn such bonuses, you can make extra money or play games without risking much.
- Reload Bonuses: These work any time you deposit more funds into an existing casino account.
- VIP Perks: These work similarly to the club card system in brick-and-mortar casinos. In essence, the more you play, the more you earn.
- Cashback Bonuses: This is one of the most popular bonuses because you do not need to bet it back. You instead receive it as a cash-out.
Knowing how to measure such bonuses will be handy when choosing a casino website. You must consider every aspect, e.g., the maximum and minimum bonus, the wagering requirements, and the games you can play with the bonus money.
As mentioned earlier, you will find a lot of online casinos when you search for them. However, only a few websites earn approval from avid gamblers everywhere. A solid reputation in the online gambling world means others have positively reviewed the website.
Many of the best websites have been in operation the longest. Such websites have been in operation long enough to deal with negative feedback. Newer websites trying to earn a “reputation” can be unreliable.
The best casino websites also take care to be appropriately licensed. Such online casinos are also frequently audited and tested by third-party corporations.
Mobile support is necessary for almost any business, and it is no different for online casinos. Most individuals are comfortable using their smartphones or other mobile gadgets, so it is no surprise that mobile gambling has become more popular. At this point, websites without mobile support fall behind.
You should expect all the qualities from a mobile website as you would from a leading online casino site.
Some websites even promote mobile use with bonuses, only available to mobile device users. Another advantage is that you do not miss out on the fun even when you are out and about.
The best casino platforms come with clean and crisp interfaces with HD graphics. They also make navigation easy, even for players who are not technologically advanced.
Another crucial factor is how well each game plays. Reputable casinos only partner with software developers proven effective and respected in the industry. This way, you never have to worry about a glitchy game, lost progress, or worse, lost money.
The foundation of online gambling is web-based platforms, commonly called online casino platforms. This is where all casino games are hosted, here you can choose to play games against other players or most typically against the casino itself. To gain access to them, you need the following:
- A device (a smartphone, tablet, or computer)
- A working (preferably) fast internet connection
- An income that would support gambling activities
Currently, there are hundreds of online gambling sites out there. For a beginner, it is essential to go with an appropriately licensed casino (more on this later). This way, you will not have to risk losing your hard-earned money to a scam. Doing this will also help you eliminate potential legalities that could get in the way of the banking process.
The first thing you must do is create an account and deposit funds into it. From this point, it all works the same way as conventional gambling. The money you win is transferred directly to your account. You can either withdraw your winnings from such an account or add more money from your account.
It is legal to gamble online in regulated US states at a federal level. Online gambling in the United States is recently undergoing unprecedented growth. However, every US state has varying laws for online gambling, causing confusion among gamblers.
The most progressive states that support online gambling, such as Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Michigan, provide various options for online poker, casino gambling, and legal online sports betting. Other states such as New York, Illinois, and Connecticut have approved online sports betting sites, with real money online casinos expected to follow suit.
Several states, such as Tennessee and Colorado, have moved from brick-and-mortar to online gambling. However, it is unlikely that they will expand their offerings anytime soon. In 2018, the United States Supreme Court opened doors for online and mobile betting sites to operate in more states. In states allowing online sports gambling, more than 80% of all wagers are placed online.
The movement toward online legal gaming in the United States began in 2012 when a New York-based court acknowledged that online poker was a game of skill. This acknowledgement created a chain of events spawning online gambling regulations in Nevada. By 2013, online poker was legalized in Nevada, Delaware, and New Jersey.
Soon after, online casinos followed suit, and each US state provided a license to online operators partnering with land-based local venues. From casino websites to poker, sports betting became a possibility for gambling states after the decision to overturn PASPA (the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, 1992) in 2018. The law, since its formation, had been limiting sports betting in the United States to Nevada.
Sports lotteries were legal in Oregon, Montana, and Delaware under PASPA. However, these products did not offer a complete betting experience. The Supreme Court decided that PASPA overstepped states’ rights and was abolished. This paved the way for online sports and state-held retail betting.
Online Casino Guide: How to Sign Up and Play
Every reputable casino will ask you to sign up and verify a user account. Always make sure to provide your correct information. This is because the casino may require you to confirm it before allowing you to withdraw money. If a casino learns that you have not offered the correct details, it may block your user account.
Casinos usually ask for the following information:
- Personal details, e.g., your name, date of birth, phone number, email, and home address.
- Account details, e.g., a secure password, user handle, preferred payment options, and security questions and answers.
You must also use payment options registered in your name, e.g., e-wallets, credit/debit cards, or bank accounts. It is not allowed to use another person’s account.
If you feel uncomfortable revealing your private information, you can go with a crypto-friendly casino to remain anonymous.
The first time you withdraw your winnings from an online casino, you will often have to verify the information you entered during signing up. The online casino will require you to confirm certain information such as your proof of identity, age, address, and preferred deposit/withdrawal options. Below are the required documents in detail:
- ID card, driving license, or passport
- A copy of a utility bill with your name and address mentioned
- Credit or debit card
- Bank statement
- Screenshot of your functional digital wallet.
Sometimes, you may also have to answer a verification phone call. Some casinos have also asked players to take a picture of themselves with a piece of paper with the casino’s name. However, this only happens when casinos suspect foul play.
Online Casinos USA Strategy & Tips
Take heed of the following tips and strategies when you begin your online gambling journey:
- Choose the right online casino with reliable customer service, a clean UI, and games based on your tastes.
- Choose suitable games. You may like (or be better at) some games more than others. So, keep them in mind when searching for a casino.
- Learn about your prospective casino’s bonuses. You may be able to take advantage of them, so skipping them could be a loss.
- Always read the terms and conditions. You may find legal information, payment terms, and more information that may come in handy later.
- Manage your bankroll and set loss limits.
- Try free games or demo versions of paid games before playing for real money.
Online vs. Land-Based Casinos in the USA
We already know that online casinos and land-based ones are fundamentally similar. Below is how online and land-based casinos differ, highlighted by their pros and cons.
- A variety of great bonuses for new and frequent players.
- A large selection of games and their types.
- You can gamble anywhere when the online casino offers mobile support (most do).
- No time restrictions.
- Most often an isolated gaming experience.
- Lacks the social aspect found in land-based casinos.
- A highly social experience.
- Restaurants and bars are often included.
- Many casinos have hotels.
- Plenty of opportunities for gamblers and non-gamblers.
- Not as many games to choose from compared to online casinos.
- These can prove expensive since you must drive to the location and even tip staff.
- May not be available 24/7.
- No welcome bonuses.
Following are the advantages and disadvantages of American online casinos:
- Lower House Edge – The costs of operating an online casino are much lower than that of a brick-and-mortar casino. This way, players can enjoy a lower house edge.
- Comfort and Convenience – Players do not need to dress up and use their fuel to travel. All they have to do is have an internet connection, a device, and somewhere to sit or lie down.
- Lucrative Bonus Rewards – Online casinos often offer generous sign-up bonuses for newcomers and great promotions for regular players.
- Security Issues – As advantageous as online casinos may be, numerous rogue operations and scams try to defraud unsuspecting players. However, if you do enough research, you may find the right casino for you.
- Distrust – Sometimes, rogue operations can give reputable casinos a bad name, causing players to lose their trust in casino platforms.
- Payout Speeds – You get your money immediately when you bet at a land-based casino. Payouts take longer when you gamble online due to the verification and processing times involved.
USA Online Casino Sites FAQ
Are all casino winnings taxable in the US?
This is based on the amount you win. In some instances, you might not have to pay any taxes. However, if you win a lot someday, you may have to address the IRS and declare your winnings.
What game options are there?
Most online casinos offer games like video poker, slots, roulette, blackjack, keno, scratch cards, and bingo.
How can I withdraw money from an online casino in the US?
All the best casinos offer several payment methods, such as e-wallets, credit/debit cards, wire transfers, crypto, and more.